July 23, 2007

Sister’s Visit

My sister flew in from the country the other day, and luckily I don’t live far from the Airport, since I don’t have a car at them moment.

So I got a bus to the airport for 8 o’clock when she said she was flying in, but unknown to me she had meant that she left at eight. After reading the flight info and seeing she wasn’t in till 9 o’clock I went and read the blurb on just about every book in the bookshop, so now I know what is worth reading.

I was pretty anxious, but I knew I couldn’t go and leave her there, not knowing where I’d be, and the bookshop was a great distraction and that part of the airport was really quiet which I was very grateful for..

Finally she landed and we came home and had a great day together, it was so good to catch up without the kids around and just be sisters again. We didn’t do anything special just hung out and ate, and it was a perfect day.

So I’ve caught the bus now, just need a few more practices before the 7th of August.

Ruby

4 Responses to “Sister’s Visit”

  1. Louise on July 23rd, 2007 11:58 pm

    Ruby,

    What’s happening on the 7th August? (apart from my ex-boyfriend’s birthday, synchronicity at it’s best!).

    Thanks for your comment. Your lastest post brought me out in a cold sweat just reading it. My goodness, a bus and then an adjustment of waiting time would have had me asking a complete stranger to wait with a placard saying ‘Are you Ruby’s sister’ whilst I went and hid in a box somewhere. You are really good, especially with using the book blurbs as a distraction. That takes extraordinary strength of mind.

    Does it get easier doing it more and more? I know if you don’t run and get to the other side of doing something, it doesn’t reinforce it and has a desensitising effect, I just want to hear it from a normal person, not someone who wrote a book about it!

    Splendid work! I hope you and your sister have a great time catching up. :)

    xoxox

  2. Sarah on July 24th, 2007 1:52 am

    **CONGRATS** for getting the bus. I know only too well about Mr Avoidence, but you did really good in getting on it and waiting in the airport :)

    WELL DONE…
    You show me that it is entirely possible to fight panic.

    Sarah♥

  3. Ruby on July 25th, 2007 11:29 pm

    Louise
    The 7th is when I am supposed to catch 4 buses within 3 hours and see the psych, I don’t know that I will be ready for that big step.
    Yes it does get easier each time, it gives you proof that you wont die in the most horriblest (new word:)) way in public. Its weird, but I can do more if I am doing it for someone else, as where if I had to go the airport for me it wouldn’t have happened. I think that is another strange pattern learnt in childhood, that I am not as important as others.

    Also I find that it is sometimes 2 steps forward and 1 step back, but I suppose that is to be expected dealing with anxiety and panic attacks. Avoidance definitely doesn’t help at all, but it feels much better :)

    Thanks for your support too that really helps as well.

    Ruby xx

  4. Ruby on July 25th, 2007 11:35 pm

    Thanks Sarah
    Yes it is possible, though not always easy (read reply above). Its lots of perseverance (and avoidance for me).

    I haven’t done much lately as its been raining every day, but not as much as England, its so sad to see the news of floods.

    Thanks for your support too Sarah, its such a nice feeling having people that understand, supporting achievements and backwards steps.

No comments: