June 28, 2007

Shopping Centre for Two Hours

My tasks for this week from the psych was to make myself do things that I don’t want to do and haven’t been able to do for a long time. I was going to go shopping yesterday at the local small supermarket.
So I decided to start my task and go the shopping centre and shop at Coles. I planned to be in and out very quickly as I would cope better that way. I went in to the centre and using my breathing and CBT realised that I was not feeling as bad as I thought I would, so I decided to go into a couple of the smaller shops that I haven’t looked in for over a year. It went so well that I went in and looked at a lot of shops as well as going into a few boutiques and tried clothes on. I must admit it felt really good to shop for clothes again….its been such a long time. I only bought a couple of items but had a good time.
After all this I went and did my food shopping and that went well too. It’s amazing that I could stay in the shopping centre by myself for a few hours without the feeling of having to run out. Desensitisation really works in building up confidence each time a task is done, as well as transference from other tasks achieved.
I took on board that I need to be proud of my achievements and when I picked up Rory, I bragged about my achievements to him and he was happy with what I had done too. It felt weird bragging, but it also made me feel good and confident.
I am going to think of something to do over the weekend that will push the boundaries

No comments: