June 21, 2007

I Survived The Bus! And Made It Home Too

I did it!!! My anxiety rose very quickly once I got out onto the street, and I started to focus on keeping my breathing at a good rate. I had to wait for 7 mins at the stop, luckily an elderly lady came to the stop who loved to have a chat which kept me distracted.
Once on the bus I started feeling very nauseous straight away I tried very hard not too focus on that feeling, normally I would focus on it until I started a panic attack, it worked on and off and had bouts of the nausea. I had to work on my breathing for the whole trip which at times was really hard and I felt exhausted by the time I got too work. One of my symptoms of my anxiety is the feeling that I am going to “wet” myself and that was constant for the whole trip, I had taken precaution and wore a incontenance pad, I did not need it, but it was a comfort to know I was covered.
On the trip home I felt a lot better, though did not enjoy the trip I had to focus on my breathing rate, and felt like I needed to go to the toilet, but did not feel nauseous . Hopefully that means that each trip is going to get easier every day.
My psychiatrist told me that I don’t appreciate my achievements enough, so for this one I am very proud of myself of completing this task. Now I am about to head off to do it all again…
Ruby
3 Responses to “I Survived The Bus! And Made It Home Too”
  1. Sarah on June 21st, 2007 4:37 pm
    Hi..
    I’ve just recently started reading your blog and as an agoraphobic myself (currently in the midst of a pretty poopy relapse) i found this post very inspirational.
    Well done for making that bus ride. Public transport for me right now is a completely no-no, i can barely get in a car :(
    Anyway…i look forward in reading more of your blog.
    Sarah♥

  2. Ruby on June 21st, 2007 7:48 pm
    Hi Sarah
    Welcome to my blog, I’m glad you got inspired. Relapses are terrible, I’ve had plenty of them over the years too - I feel for you.
    Its the baby steps that are important, and panic is not bigger than you, that’s just where people who suffer this horrible illness, put it.
    Ruby

  3. Leonora on October 29th, 2008 6:00 am
    Well said.

No comments: