April 24, 2007

Medication and GROW

Monday was the busiest day I have had in months.
Late Sunday I learnt about a mental health group called GROW so I wanted to check them out on Monday they support sufferers, family and friends with any mental health issues.
Monday morning I went to see my psych and as I knew, she was disappointed in the lack of motivation from the week before, so no news there, but we started talking about cognitive therapy and we will get into that some more next week and start keeping a daily sheet that. The theory is that if I record the thoughts that are causing my negative thinking which starts a panic attack then I will be able to negate those thoughts and change them with positive ones.
Then I went to see a psychiatrist at the same centre regarding my medication. Thankfully he changed my medication and as I had already been lowering my dosage for the past few months I was able to start the new tablets today. So now I have changed from Effexor to Esipram 10mg at 1 per day so hopefully in a couple of weeks I will find some long awaited relief. This is medication that treats anxiety that causes depression, not the other way around which was what the other medication was for.
I called GROW and found out that my local group was meeting in 1/2 and hour so while I was on the road I went along. I’m very glad that I did, they work on a 12 step program that work towards healing mental health issues. The meeting was very constructive and the literature a bit confronting (which I thought a great thing). I bought 2 of the available 3 books that they work from and am in the process of reading through them. I am writing down the confronting bits as they are obviously the bits I need to work on most……its a bit scary lol, but I’m motivated. The group meets weekly and you can attend as long as you need/want to and they have been established for 50 years so at least they wont be gone in a couple of months when the funding runs out. They were also very laid back and enjoyed lots of laughs and we had coffee and bikkies afterwards.
I was very emotionally exhausted today after my big day yesterday so I didn’t get much done today and the agoraphobia feelings were a lot stronger. Rory has gone out for the night with tomorrow being a public holiday, ANZAC Day, so I am enjoying having a night to myself without his ‘teenage’ music for the first time in a few months , as his friends normally spend the weekends here.

No comments: