October 13, 2007

Finally Got Back Here

Its been a busy month trying to get accustomed to working 5 nights a week. When I first started this job I was employed to do 3 night shift per week, the person I would be job sharing with was ill when I started so I offered to cover all 5 shifts till she returned. She has now decided not to return and I said I couldn’t keep doing all shifts, so I have cut it down to 4 shifts till they find another person to job share with.

This week is the first week that I have only done 4 shifts, and I am really glad that I made that decision as I was finding I was spending all weekend recovering and preparing for the next week and was not getting any time to myself.

I started having panic attacks again in the last couple of weeks, which is, I assume, because of working to many night shifts. I still don’t have a regular sleeping pattern but I am now getting enough sleep each day. I wasn’t using my coping skills at first but then started doing relaxation exercises before going to sleep to ensure a sound sleep.

I am still aware that working at nights on my own is not helping me getting back out into the community, so I need to look at doing something on my days off to get some interaction with people, besides my son and his friends.

I only get paid monthly which has been a bit of a culture shock, but it has been nice to get large amounts of money in my bank after being on government payments for over a year. I have repainted my feature walls and bought things that I have wanted for a while, like kitchenware and presents for family.

I will be back more regularly now that I have my work and sleeping pattern worked out.

Ruby

4 Responses to “Finally Got Back Here”

  1. Robert on November 15th, 2007 9:10 am

    You have been in my thoughts in the past weeks, Ruby. Your news is a bit of a mixed bag - coping quite well with work, but having some panic attacks again…

    However, your post is quite upbeat, I’m pleased to see.

    Nice to see you post again!

  2. Coffeecup on November 17th, 2007 11:20 pm

    Dear Ruby, I am so pleased that you left a comment on ‘My Wife Has Agoraphobia’ as it lead me to your page. How fantastic that you are out there in the work place! I empathise entirely with what you say about getting out into the community. I am really looking forward to reading all your posts and catching up on events.

    Wishing you well and happiness.

  3. Ruby on November 21st, 2007 6:53 pm

    Thanks for your thoughts Robert, it so great to have people out there that are thinking of me even with me not having posted for a while. You and Marie are always in my thoughts, with how you are going, and moving forward.

    Nice to meet you Coffeecup :)I’m glad that you posted here, we all have to share together and support each others efforts in getting well. I too will be reading up on your journey. Yes the community!! such a scary move, but baby steps and positive thinking (on some days anyway :)).

    Ruby

  4. Robert on November 21st, 2007 8:01 pm

    Yes, you’re always in my thoughts, too, Ruby. And I keep Marie updated on your progress. Somehow, I don’t quite understand it, we feel connected to you and your situation. Thanks for taking an interest in us!

    It’s REALLY important that people know that there IS hope when they feel that there is none, so your blog (and other similar ones) is, imho, very important.

No comments: